View Single Post
Old
03-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
So just because he is playing 1 year up he should get exceptional status? What are his stats? Have you compared them to Tavares, Stamkos, and even guys like Sam Gagner and those types that dominated AAA midget. You're talking about a kid in bantam. Let's see him when he gets up against bigger, faster midget kids and then decide if he's a phenom.

And as a sidebar, there have been a number of kids who have played up 2-3 years above them, not just one. Crosby played jr. A when he was 15, might even have been 14 if I remember correctly. If you're calling someone exceptional, it needs to be more than a 1 year jump in my books. That happens all the time.
The issue with ontario is that players are not allowed to play in JrA or tier two if they are under the age of 15. Its a new development model that was made in 2003. Gagner and Stamkos never played in JrA, because they where not allowed. Midget AAA in Ontario is very different and watered down, it would do them nothing in terms of development. Tavaras did the same thing as McDavid is doing, playing a year up. They can play for a JrA team once their club team's season is over, but that is limited to 10-15 games.

Do i think that McDavid is at the same level as others? Way to early to call, but I like what I have seen in limited viewings. This time next year we will know much more.