View Single Post
Old
03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
JimmyStart*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I remember a few years ago (2004), the Finnish line with Korpikoski dominated in the WJC. I was thrilled when the Rangers took him, and I was bummed they took Montoya instead of one of his linemates (Tukonen). The third linemate (Nokaleinen) was picked by the Isles. All 3 of them were essentially busts. I don't think a short series is the best indicator of success in the NHL.

I would be very happy to stand corrected. I am simply asking for one or more examples where a college player who did not score a point per game as a sophomore went on to the NHL and was productive as a top 6 forward the next season. I could be wrong, but I do not recall a single such example in the 40 years I've been watching the NHL.

I'm not necessarily saying Kreider will be a bust. He's very young, and he has tools. But at this point in their development, I think Christian Thomas or even Evgeny Grachev are ahead of Kreider -- Thomas because he has a natural scorer's touch, and Grachev because he's played pro for 2 years.

I just am skeptical as to whether Kreider will be the first player in let's say the last 30 NHL seasons to make such a leap. If he makes it as a top 6 forward for the Rangers, it won't be next year.
But the game is waaaay different from 30 years ago. And this team is built so a rookie could easily come in and spend at least some top 6 time as a forward like Step, Artie, MZA all have at some point (AA last year obviously). I think Kreider, Step Zuke is the line we will see.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote