View Single Post
Old
03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
Your points are all valid.

I'm not anti-Kreider at all. My concern is that we Ranger fans sometimes expect too much too soon from our prospects. The fact that Kreider is not yet a prolific scorer in college suggests to me that we should not expect him to have 30 goals on our top line a year from now. Much like Dubinsky, Anisimov, Callahan, et al., it'll take Kreider a few years to mature into the player (goal scorer) he can become.

It's true that Stepan and McDonagh have stepped in as rookies in prominent roles for the Rangers. But unlike Kreider, Stepan was already prolific as a playmaker in college. And McDonagh's job does not require him to put pucks in the net. I think Kreider may have to work on his craft a bit longer than those two.
If Kreider's game translates to the NHL level and he keeps a similar pace, like Derek Stepan who had 21 goals in 81 NCAA games, Kreider, who has 26 goals in 69 games, would project to a 30-31 goal scorer.

Maybe Stepan was not prolific as a goal scorer, but he was able to keep up the same pace in the NHL. I dont see any reason why Kreider couldnt keep a similar pace in the NHL.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote