View Single Post
Old
03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Exactly always the case. Plus good G, that is must have. Should we have a good coach, we could have made a lot of noise in those 7 non-playoff years. Geese, if we could only have had Renney, although he would not be the best, we would have been in second round evey other year.
and a rejuvenated Jagr, jones'n over the new NHL. He was spoiled and didn't get his way in Washington. But hey, that Renney is a nice guy. He let Jagr play however he wanted too with all of his Czech buddies so he would never feel home sick like he did with the Pens.

Yea, It was fun having arguably the best right winger in the history of the game for only a couple of years until inevitably, he got too old. Moreover, he was kept happy because as I said, Renney is a hell of nice guy. So nice, that he didn't employ his stingy defensive system (yet) like the coach in Washington had the balls to play despite what Jagr wanted.

He was a stubborn coach who wouldn't give in to Jagr's demands ("they didn't utilize my tools there" Jagr explained). Renney did (although I'm sure he knew it would only last short term), and than waited until later, when Jagr, Straka, and other aging stars were gone before implementing the same system Jagr grudgingly played under while in Washington. So we had a couple of 2nd round exits for a few years until Jagr had nothing left.

Renney and Jagr did keep us mediocre while the stubborn staff in Washington took a different route, sacrificing having too possibly go through one or two poor seasons (without an aging Jagr who only had 2 or 3 good years left and he, Straka, and Nylander were certainly not the type players you're looking to build a team around for the betterment of the franchise's future) before drafting Backstrom and Ovechkin.