View Single Post
Old
10-12-2003, 11:53 AM
kenabnrmal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
One exception: his run with Philly.

Flyers were favored in that series and played well enough for them to win. Burke was the weakest link and cost them the series. He finished dead last in SV% and GAA among starters and the stats certainly tell the story.
And that was well before he changed his game with help from Allaire. As I said before, Burke's game has changed CONSIDERABLY since coming to Phoenix, and so has his performance. Ignore this and claim he's "useless" to a playoff team as KL suggests, but its more than apparent to most people who have followed Burke's career. Again, the bottom line is that he hasn't proved himself in the playoffs, EITHER WAY. He hasn't had a chance to.

And regular season performance has no link to playoff performance? A goalie that is good in the regular season isn't more likely to be good in the post-season? Basing a goaltender's value and ability solely on whether his teams have won championships is the laziest form of evaluation possible, imo. In Phoenix Burke has transformed his game and has proven to be one of the better regular season goalies in the league. Now he needs a chance to prove himself in the playoffs. I'm not saying he's a perfect fit for Colorado (I, unlike most, haven't written off Abby), however he's as good a fit as anyone else availiable, should they decide to trade for one, imo.