View Single Post
Old
03-11-2011, 02:16 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I liken our situation with Weber and Suter to that of Anaheim with Pronger and Neidermayer. One year they trade away Pronger, the next year Neidermayer retires. Granted, different situations but sucked that they had one of the best pairings in the league to find themselves with Lupul, Sbisa and I believe a pick for the two of them. They lucked out big time with Fowler as that kid is a keeper. With the addition of Beauchemin and having a few guys there already, they're a lot better than I thought they'd be on the back end but it's hard to replace those types of guys.

Grinder, we totally agree on the situation, just hard to convey on here sometimes.

I agree, it is similar. And thus, one of Weber or Suter will be gone.

On their next contracts, I figure the two of them will be earning a combined $13 to 15M in real dollars and probably at least $10 to 12M in cap hit. I can find only a few instances of teams investing that sort of money in their top two d-men (DET: Lidstrom-Rafalski, PHI: Timmonen-Pronger, BOS: Chara-Kaberle, CHI: Campbell-Keith, TOR: Phaneuf-Komisarek) but all are cap ceiling teams (unless I missed something).

If Poile determines keeping both is not economically feasible, logically, he'll trade the one that will:
-garner the greater return (in the form of cheap quality players)
-provide the lower bang for the buck (esp in terms of TOI)

IMO, Weber meets both of those criterion. I can see the return for him being a package of two good NHL players (one on an ELC, the other on his second contract in the range of $2-3M) and a first rounder at least. That would leave NSH with enough budget dollars to sign a UFA as well. So in the end, the net return could be three NHL players for Weber. And if scenario such as this does unfold, it'll happen this summer.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote