View Single Post
Old
03-11-2011, 08:22 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
I agree, it is similar. And thus, one of Weber or Suter will be gone.

On their next contracts, I figure the two of them will be earning a combined $13 to 15M in real dollars and probably at least $10 to 12M in cap hit. I can find only a few instances of teams investing that sort of money in their top two d-men (DET: Lidstrom-Rafalski, PHI: Timmonen-Pronger, BOS: Chara-Kaberle, CHI: Campbell-Keith, TOR: Phaneuf-Komisarek) but all are cap ceiling teams (unless I missed something).

If Poile determines keeping both is not economically feasible, logically, he'll trade the one that will:
-garner the greater return (in the form of cheap quality players)
-provide the lower bang for the buck (esp in terms of TOI)

IMO, Weber meets both of those criterion. I can see the return for him being a package of two good NHL players (one on an ELC, the other on his second contract in the range of $2-3M) and a first rounder at least. That would leave NSH with enough budget dollars to sign a UFA as well. So in the end, the net return could be three NHL players for Weber. And if scenario such as this does unfold, it'll happen this summer.
I am not going to lie, I read the bolded line and no more. Anaheim was in a different situation. They had to let one go becasue they had to pony up to sign neidermeyer, selanne, getzlaf, and perry. they were looking at ryan the year after, plus had hiller to get under contract. they were looking at 6 contracts for 30 million bucks. they add pronger-who wanted a long deal, that is 7 players at 35-38 million bucks a year last year (now I know ryan's contract wasn't huge until this year, but sub prongers in for his last year, and now omit neids, it makes sense) this year it is back to 6 players and 30 million.

that is your difference, anaheim wanted to build around hiller and their top line. nashville wants to build around pekka and their top pair.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote