View Single Post
Old
03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
while i happen to [sadly] agree with your take here, i wonder if our continued difficulty scoring goals, both at even strength and on the pp, is due to our general overabundance of ''blue collar'' players. not every player on your entire roster needs to play a 2 way game. i mean really..... did anyone complain when we signed gaby that he didnt play that way.... hes mostly an offensive guy.

this reminds me of the conversation we were having back in the um.... lisin times. trying to make all offensive players into 2 way players isnt always the right call.

we seem to be void of any true game breaking offensive talent. perhaps thats something that needs to change.
I think Gaborik is one of the more defensively responsible forwards in the NHL. Wingers aren't generally relied upon to be effective in their own end, but if we're targeting a center in this draft, I think you have to get a guy who can play both ends of the ice. He doesn't necessarily have to be a grinder-type, but he can't be a slouch in his own end.

I really like Koko in the offensive zone, but I don't see him as a center in the NHL. He's better suited for the wing given his somewhat undersized stature, and his lack of commitment to defense. If we were drafting him to play the wing, I could definitely see him getting some interest, but I'm not sure that will be the case.

Zibanejad is really the wild card here. You and I both love the kid, and if the Rangers think he has the offensive upside to be a #1B center, I think that's our guy in the first round.