View Single Post
Old
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
The bunch of RFA's that we'll re-sign this summer, will ultimately be destined for free-agency in a few years.
I think this very fact is one of the big reasons that we should be making a legitimate attempt to compete in the next two to three years. Lundqvist and Gaborik are in their primes, and our own players (Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan, etc.) are still on reasonable contracts.

Fast forward a few years and Lundqvist and Gaborik are suddenly reaching their decline and the great values we're getting for our own "core" right now is no longer so great.

I'm not sure that I necessarily agree, but a plausible argument could be made that our own window to compete could pass without us ever even being competitors, if Sather plays it too cautiously and sticks with our own development rather than looking elsewhere via UFA or a trade.

I just don't see a legitimate fix for our first line in our system or realistically being available where we'll be drafting. Maybe Richards isn't the answer, but I don't see a better option on the horizon.