View Single Post
Old
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Very pleased to get Balon here. I think he's an excellent first piece of a two-way 3rd line. I really wanted to comment when seventies picked Nevin that there was an undrafted Ranger winger from those teams who I considered a better two-way player than Bob (no offense to Nevin...I think it's close). Balon didn't do a lot of penalty killing for those Rangers teams, but he did well with a lot of tough assignments at even strength as part of a very effective checkingline (and in an era of great strength at right wing) and turned in some strong scoring finishes in the process, as well. This is what Toe Blake had to say about Balon after his first big season in Montreal (part of a heartbreaking article about Balon's long battle with MS):

Quote:
"I always knew he was a good checker," Blake said then. "But he's shown he can be a real good scorer, too."
Balon played on the Henri Richard line for a couple of very good seasons in Montreal before being selected by Minnesota in the 1967 expansion draft where he would star for a season before being traded back to New York, where he would enjoy his best years playing as the primary goalscorer next to Walt Tkaczuk on the Bulldog Line.