View Single Post
Old
03-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Norm MacDonald

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That isn't equating the value of their even strength minutes... hell, that isn't even making a critical analysis of their even strength minutes. That's noting that Meszaros is an all situations player, which neither Carle or Coburn are.
Well, you're right about it not making a critical analysis. If you're saying that playing on the 2nd unit of mediocre special teams is more important than top 4 minutes with.

Quote:
With Timonen... maybe you forget Coburn getting gutted like a dead fish by Chicago whenever he was on the ice away from Timonen. And, no, he hasn't been "great defensively" this season. He's been better than in the past, but he's still been up and down.
There's really no convincing you. If you want to see Coburn as a bad player, there's nothing I can do about that. Fortunately, Laviolette knows his value which is why he keeps giving him important defensive assignments.

Quote:
What you wrote was evading the fact that he sucks defensively by making an excuse for his lack of offensive skill.
This sentence makes no sense.

Quote:
Strangely, scoring goals is the metric for offense in the NHL... since that's, ya know, how we keep track of such things.
So annoying. Every defenseman's primary contribution to offense is in the transition. Timonen+Coburn does that well. He's making the right decisions and moving the puck even if it doesn't translate to assists. And referring to it as "scoring goals" is just weaselly on multiple levels.

Quote:
The entire team was bad... he wasn't as bad as he's made out to be. Overpaid? Absolutely... still is overpaid.
No, bad. And if he's overpaid, does that make Coburn and Carle REALLY overpaid, since you think they will be cap casualties? I doubt many would agree that they are.

Quote:
So Matt Carle's good defensive numbers are the product of his partner? I agree...
Why can't both players contribute? You argue like a child.

Quote:
I agree... Carle has very good offensive chops. However, he also has terrible defensive chops.

He has been our worst defenseman from a defensive perspective
Puck possession is both offense and defense. And even if you think Meszaros is some golden god, it should be clear Sean O'Donnell is our worst defenseman defensively.

Quote:
Trash can.
Versteeg's face.

Quote:
This might be hard for you... but I want you to sit and think. In an ideal world, we don't move any of 'em. In the real world, however, we might need to shed some salary. Look at the roster, and create a list of least-likely to most-likely players to be traded.

Carle and Coburn will be at the top of the list for most likely. That isn't a critique of 'em, it's reality.
I want you to sit and think. Do you seriously think a mediocre third liner is worth more than a D who plays 20+ minutes a night? Flyers can, and should, keep all of them.
And, if by some crazy reason, they have to trade one, it should be the one who is most easily replaced. That would be the one who matches up against ****ty players on the third pairing.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote