View Single Post
Old
03-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
As much as it would please me to see some of the n00bs here tear into Laviolette's fur and encounter rabid resistance from those who daydream about soaping his back in a warm shower, it seems to me that 90% of this downturn is owed to one simple element: their powerplay sucks.

When you work your tail off to draw penalties and then cannot light the lamp on the man advantage, time after time, game after game, it is sapping. So then what happens is that guys try to do too much and that's when you see boners like those of Versteeg and Leino at MSG on Sunday. If you live long enough, you see this in every sport - quarterbacks forcing throws into coverage, basketball players taking bad shots, hitters swinging for fences, outfielders overthrowing cutoff men, et cetera et cetera ad nauseum.

This is where your superstars are supposed to step in, if you have any.

Problem: the Flyers don't have any.

The Flyers have no AAA players and they are less outfitted at goalkeeper than any other Cup candidate. But they are deeper than most, up and down the ice, and what that's supposed to do is allow guys to take turns making big plays. It ain't happening. Hence, your slump.

I think they will pull it together; they are too deep to remain mired for long.
It is not the PP, it is the fact that this team has given up 75 goals against in the 3rd period. Look at some of the teams who are in that ranking and there are not a lot of playoff bound teams. Bottom line is the PP is part of the problem, but when players are not winning the one on one battles, and executing it comes down to the players. Don't make things too complicated, no behind the back passes, no cross-ice passes through the zone, pass it around the box and get an open seam.

The coach even felt bad for the players for overworking them, what does he get rewarded with? A crappy effort against a poor team like Atlanta and once again blowing a lead.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote