View Single Post
Old
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM
LeftCoast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
Agreed. I just don't get it. I do agree with LeftCoast's sentiment that Samuelsson can be extremely frustrating to watch for some stretches during the season, but what do you expect for $2.5 million UFA? UFA's are almost always on bad contracts but somehow Samuelsson is on one of the biggest steal UFA contracts in the league and it's still not good enough.

Plus being 34 with one year left on his deal he won't be bringing much back in a trade. Way more valuable to the Canucks IMO.

Canucks will have to replace Torres up front this offseason anyways so I don't think opening a new hole is a good idea when we are trying to win a Cup. Hopefully Higgins plays well and wants to stay to replace Torres-fits perfectly in the age group with the core.
I don't make the suggestion to trade Samuelsson lightly. He's a proven playoff performer, and an experienced veteran who fits very well on the team (and a refreshingly honest interview to boot).

However, when I look at the cap decisions in the off-season, it will be very difficult to re-sign both Ehrhoff and Bieksa with Hansen also being due an RFA raise (also keep in mind, we likely won't be starting the year with $3.5M on LTIR, so we are going to need some cap space for injuries). In the grand scheme of things, I think it would be preferable to keep our veteran depth on defense and try to replace Samuelsson's production internally.

When I look at replacing a player or role, I see a number of forwards who can replace Samuelsson's productions. Hansen, Higgins or even Tambellini could slide up onto the 2nd line. One of Hodgson, Sweatt, Schroeder or Shirokov (if re-signed) is likely to make the team next year on the 3rd line. I also expect Raymond to have a bounce back season. I also expect a full year out of Burrows, so his production will likely increase.

But on defense, only Keith Ballard is really in a position to take a much bigger role than he has this year. I'm impressed with what I have seen from Chris Tanev, and Yann Sauve and Ryan Parent are probably close to NHL ready. But none of our young defenders are ready to play the tough minutes that Bieksa does and none are able to move the puck the way Ehrhoff does.

LeftCoast is online now   Reply With Quote