View Single Post
Old
03-15-2011, 11:00 AM
kanuck87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
When I look at replacing a player or role, I see a number of forwards who can replace Samuelsson's productions. Hansen, Higgins or even Tambellini could slide up onto the 2nd line. One of Hodgson, Sweatt, Schroeder or Shirokov (if re-signed) is likely to make the team next year on the 3rd line. I also expect Raymond to have a bounce back season. I also expect a full year out of Burrows, so his production will likely increase.

But on defense, only Keith Ballard is really in a position to take a much bigger role than he has this year. I'm impressed with what I have seen from Chris Tanev, and Yann Sauve and Ryan Parent are probably close to NHL ready. But none of our young defenders are ready to play the tough minutes that Bieksa does and none are able to move the puck the way Ehrhoff does.
only Higgins has ever had a 50-point season, and that was a long time ago. If we're going to discuss 2nd line options, those options have to have a reasonably good chance of hitting the 50-point mark, and none of the ones you brought up inspire enough confidence in me to part with Samuelsson.

What's wrong with keeping Samuelsson and Ehrhoff, letting go of Bieksa and signing a cheaper option like Montador? You're way over-prioritizing the need for a 5th d-man that you're willing to play a bottom-6 forward as one of our top-6.

If you want to talk about roles, a 50-point second line winger is much more important than a 13-16 minute 3rd pairing defenseman in general terms.

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote