View Single Post
Old
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I absolutely love stats but that website (if its the one I'm thinking of) is utterly useless at predicting future outcomes.
Is it perfect? No. Obviously, it doesn't predict the future - no model can. But what it does do is give you a pretty good idea of what's likely to happen - based on historical data. I think that's relavent, and useful information.

Quote:
That site just reacts to what happens and using the past spits out guesses on the future. It in no way saw our current run happening. In fact, quite the opposite, when Roy went down that site essentially wrote us off.
Actually, I think it wrote us off because we flat out sucked, and teams that suck as bad as we did at that point in the season don't usually turn things around and make the playoffs. I could be wrong, but I think they use an extremely simple model that either says we win 50% of our remaining games, or a certain percentage of them based on previous games. I don't think it even attempts to factor in things like injuries, fatigue, etc.

And we don't know that things like that even affect the numbers predictably. We've played better without Roy, the Pens were fine without Crosby until Malkin went down, etc.. So adding in more variables may actually make the percentages less accurate.

Quote:
TI thought it was ridiculous in November/December when you and others used that site as a reason to have a firesale and tank the season. Since it said we had a very small percentage chance (at one point single digits) of making the playoffs. And I think its ridiculous now for anyone to think we have a 70% chance of making the playoffs due to that sites predictions. We could start to struggle again for a variety of reasons and in short order be on the outside looking in. But accrording to that site a few games ago that was highly unlikely.
I don't want a firesale, and never did. But I think it's downright delusional to think this team is anywhere near the contender they need to be, and to hold onto expiring contracts for players who aren't in our future plans, instead of moving them for things that will actually have value after July 1. I don't think moving out dead weight like Connolly, Rivet (now gone), Lalime (now superglued to the bench), Grier, etc. would have substantially changed our playoff chances. If we manage to get in, then great, it will be good for a lot of the young guys to get the experience. But I'm not willing to sacrifice much, if anything, in the way of future assets to get there this year.

I don't think you can ever predict something as complicated as hockey using any statistical model. But when you have to make decisions - like what to do with expiring UFAs - I think it's useful to know what the past results say about your teams chances. Obviously, knowing your roster, how they play and practice, etc ,is going to be more valuable than raw numbers, but I don't think the historical data is worthless.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote