Thread: GBU: Chokejob
View Single Post
Old
03-16-2011, 12:38 PM
slip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
I don't want a firesale, and never did. But I think it's downright delusional to think this team is anywhere near the contender they need to be, and to hold onto expiring contracts for players who aren't in our future plans, instead of moving them for things that will actually have value after July 1. I don't think moving out dead weight like Connolly, Rivet (now gone), Lalime (now superglued to the bench), Grier, etc. would have substantially changed our playoff chances. If we manage to get in, then great, it will be good for a lot of the young guys to get the experience. But I'm not willing to sacrifice much, if anything, in the way of future assets to get there this year.
I would agree with you but I think Bryan Murray singlehandedly destroyed the trade market for immanent UFA's. Fisher for a 1st and Kelly for a 2nd (both signed beyond this year) is quite a markdown from last year's prices. Back then our 2nd could only get us UFA to be Torres. This year it got us Boyes whose signed next year too.

On the flip side, I think the value for Connolly was at best a 3rd rounder and Grier was likely closer to a 5th or 6th. That some pretty crappy return for a team in the thick of a playoff race, hence both stayed put.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote