View Single Post
Old
03-16-2011, 12:52 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
But then wouldn't Japan buy its gasoline from the supplier that can fill their demand at the lowest price?

I agree with you, we should send any or all available surpluses to Japan and sell it for whatever profit can be made but only if there is a profit to be made.

Then I would expect as all North American's have for the past several years for those profits to be returned to us by lowering gas prices at the pump, and that just hasn't happened.

I am not blaming anyone specifically by the way, there is enough blame to go around for all of us but it would exceptionally naive to think that the U.S. government and the petro/oil industry doesn't deserve more than the individual consumer in my opinion.
Sort of. There isn't a huge surplus of refining capacity in Asia, so your first problem is finding the stuff. Also, keep in mind that countries like China subsidize their gasoline, so the Chinese population doesn't give a rats ass what crude prices are doing. They pay a fixed rate. (Imagine locking in gas at $1 / gallon with no fluctuation!) And they will continuously buy energy (I'm lumping crude and gasoline together here) at whatever price, because that will keep their economy going.

Unfortunately, the lowest cost supplier may be the US (along with Singapore and Australia), thus pushing refined gasoline higher in all export locations.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote