View Single Post
Old
07-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 500
I'm sorry, Dalyn Flatt was an absolute waste of a pick. I saw this kid play in the playoffs against Prince Albert when the Blades were swept 4-0 and he was attrocious. Sure, he's big and physical but his skating is attrocious. He reminds me of Dale Purinton, but at least Purinton is tough and can fight. Flatt just holds on and wrestles guys to the ice, he's not tough at all. Prince Albert ran around hitting the Blades' best players at every opportunity and Flatt, the one guy on the team they look to to fight, didn't step up for his teammates. Apparently his coach Lorne Molleken was furious with him and there's been rumors he probably won't be back in Saskatoon.

Quote:
The Rangers finished the third round by choosing defenseman Dalyn Flatt of the Saskatoon Blades (WHL) with the 77th selection. “Our goal there was who’s the biggest, toughest, meanest, strongest player we could find that could get the job done and this kid was just a tough kid,” Maloney explained.
How did they come up with this idea? Using a 3rd round pick on a potential goon? What a waste. Especially with a few decent players on the board, including Syvret. Syvret has question marks but at least his potential is a number 4 defenseman who can be used on the power play. Flatt at best will be a 6th/7th depth defenseman and chances are he'll never skate a game in the NHL.

I'm not one to knock the team's selections, they're the guys that get paid the big bucks to watch these kids, but they really did drop the ball on this one.