Thread: WC: Roster Talk '11 USA
View Single Post
Old
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Before we start hearing about players we'll see a head coach named. With so many teams potentially in the playoff race down to the wire, the options could be slim or they could have to wait a bit longer than they'd normally like if they're not satisfied with the options.

American Head Coaches:

Joe Sacco (Colorado Avalanche)
Todd Richards (Minnesota Wild)
Jack Capuano (New York Islanders)
John Tortorella (New York Rangers)
Peter Laviolette (Philadelphia Flyers)
Dan Bylsma (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Ron Wilson (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Scott Gordon (Ex-Islanders, now Advisor)

So who do you want to see get the position?

Right now, only Sacco, Capuano, and Gordon (obviously) are pretty much sure bets to be available. That said, it's not unheard of for USA Hockey to go outside the NHL head coaching ranks. In 2007, Mike Sullivan - ex-head coach but at the time an assistant with Tampa Bay - was head coach. In 2006, Mike Eaves from the University of Wisconsin was head coach. From 2000 to 2003, Lou Vairo manned the bench.

With my top 2 choices definitely unavailable (Bylsma and Laviolette) and the availability of a guy like Tortorella coming down to end of the season most likely, the only obvious choice would be Ron Wilson. I think we'll see Joe Sacco get the gig but I'm interested to see what everyone thinks.