View Single Post
Old
07-31-2005, 08:35 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
I can't believe how upset people are that we drafted more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I'm ecstatic with this draft personally. I think Sather's people did a terrific job, and I think there is a good chance this could be Sather's shining moment as GM. Staal, Sauer, Dupont were all great value picks.
defenders! Depth. None of us know for sure how any of these players that we drafted will pan out in 2-3 years. But, by adding depth to a position that historically has had teams paying premiums to acquire, it only bodes well for us as an organization. Increasing the number of prospects we have at any one position only puts the odds of success that several will plan out and become full fledged NHL defensemen in our favor. There is nothing, nothing wrong with amassing assets for future use in trades to acquire a piece or pices that we don't have in our organization. You see this all the time in sports. Some organizations produce nothing but a certain positional player and evryone wonders how they do that. Depth. Depth improves your chances.

Whether it is a defenseman, or a solid hard hitting defensive forward, or a scoring winger. The more you have, the better you are. Just as you are over leaded, there is some team, or teams that are equally deficient in the position. You draft the best available player. You worry about the rest later.