View Single Post
Old
03-18-2011, 12:49 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Well, there's a reason that Boyle had only played 107 games coming into the season of his 26th birthday: he wasn't any good.

When he was drafted, the hope was that he'd become a top power forward in the game. Keith Primeau was a comp for him. Now, over 7 years after he was drafted, he is just now establishing himself as a regular NHL player. I think it's fair at this point to adjust expectations and lower the projections for Boyle, no? He can certainly improve his game further, but how many guys do you see make significant strides at 27? Not too many. The odds are greatly stacked against a guy like Boyle blossoming further.

Anisimov is equal or arguably better at this point and is much earlier in his development cycle. It's reasonable to expect significant improvement in his game at this point. Are people higher on him because he's one of our draft picks? Probably to an extent, and that's silly. But the silliness doesn't change the reality of the situation...the odds of Boyle getting a lot better are slim, whereas it's entirely plausible to predict continued improvement for Anisimov.

I ask you this: what areas of Boyle's game do you think he can improve upon? His vision is sub-par, and he has a complete inability to set up his teammates. Do you really see these skills developing for him at age 27? I don't. I think he'll learn to be even more assertive physically, but that's about it.

It's just pain.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 03-18-2011 at 12:54 AM.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote