View Single Post
03-18-2011, 12:27 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Perif, I always enjoy reading your posts but this one is a little ridiculous. How can you not be impressed with his production this year, regardless of his age? I understand that the age difference should make it easier for him to put up points, but

A) the amount of goals/points he has put up is still more than anyone could have predicted him to score, even if you took his DOB into account, and

B) the kid is still very raw in terms of his overall experience playing the sport. He has been bouncing back and forth between hockey and football, and could have played D1 NCAA Football as a QUARTERBACK(!!!!) if he wanted to. I don't know if you are familiar with football but regardless of how talented you are, you need to devote a LOT of time and energy to the sport in order to have the opportunity of playing Division One football, especially at the QB position which requires not just a lot of practice, but a lot of studying as well. So even though he is older on paper, he probably has less total experience than a lot of NCAA hockey players, and at least 90% of the actual legit prospects. IMO that helps balance out the age difference.

However, now that football is out of the picture and hockey is getting his undivided attention, is it really that farfetched to see him rapidly progress from year to year? I am very high on this kid and see him battling it out with Cizikas for the Isles 3rd line center role of the future. I do think his potential is higher than that of a 3rd line C, but with Tavares and Nielsen/Bailey, he might have to settle with that barring some extreme progression in the next year or two.

As far as next year goes, I really hope he turns pro and heads to Bridgeport. I think the combination of his age, size, and his overall production this season(on the scoresheet and off), it makes a lot of sense to bring him over to the AHL to further develop his game. God knows Bridgeport can use some solid young talent, since they usually get skipped over by the better Islanders prospects. I'd give Lee at least one, but probably two full seasons of top-6 hockey in the AHL to see what we really have here.
great post, Lee is as raw as they come but man is he one super and BIG BIG athlete. He was groomed to be a star somewhere almost like a prodigy and finally he chose his sport. He has dominated wherever he has played after being drafted by the NYI.

Even if this was his SOPH year the stats do tell alot I feel. Look at numbers from Okposo, Toews, heatley and Co, all are similiar. Lee at this point is a legit NHL prospect and what I hear has a legit NHL shot already. Any reason why we cant try him as a bruising winger? We sure could use a left handed power forward one day. Lee is what 6'2 225 right now? has a blistering shot and was trained to skate as a speed skater! Sounds like Eric lindros of all people but in reality we get clips that his skating is choppy and need work so Lee could be a project which I am sure us fans dont mind he learns his trade in the AHL for the next 2 seasons?

The isles are finally deep enough up front to let the Lee's, Cizakas Gregoire, Rhaksani, Ullstrom, joneasu (sp), Martin, Trivino, Haley's of the world develop properly with no rushing. These guys are deposits into the Isles checking account. Some will pay off and some will not. Just keep on loading up the cupboard.

mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote