Thread: News Article: Flyers have worst farm system in NHL
View Single Post
Old
03-18-2011, 01:09 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
well I meant a few years by my comment. I wouldnt say we draft very well, we have drafted pretty good.
this is the same organization that took Klotz in round 3. that scout should of been fired btw.
Its something that many dont seem to grasp, the we are winning and our core is young so its ok thought does not fly with me at all. What happens if Richards and Carter go down for a season like Crosby and Malkin did. or we have injuries like the Rangers have had. We have NOTHING in the AHL to replace them long term.
Rinaldo or Holmstrom in the top 9 long term?
Wellwood could probably fill the void if needed, but I am not convinced he can step in and play well for a long stretch in the top 9.
Firstly, you don't build your farm system around the thought that two of your core players might go out for a whole year on a freak injury. That said, even if we had great blue chip prospects there's nobody really that could replace them from any farm system in the league.

Let's say Richards/Carter go down with an injury...you're going to depend on Giroux, Briere, Hartnell, leino, JvR et all to step up. Then you plug glue guys in on the lower lines - Wellwood, Holmstrom, etc.

And yes, we draft very well even though this club has a commitment to goons for some reason. Look at the players we've gotten with our picks despite not usually picking very high. Holmgren drafts very well; he's just not drafting.

Note that I didn't say it's okay for our cupboard to be bare. In the immediate future we'll be fine, but if we don't start drafting well again this year and next, we'll start seeing issues.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote