View Single Post
Old
03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagrov View Post
You're saying no one is given a full time job, yet you're assuming Gudbranson is a lock to make the roster...
Nowhere did I say he was a lock...just that he "should" be able to earn a spot. That doesnt mean he's just given that spot ("a lock") without needing to earn it. I thought that was clear by my explanation and reasoning.
Quote:
Tallon could even trade Gudbranson by your reasoning ?

You think Tallon would trade one of his two most "underpaid" (cheaper) and best defensemen ?
Yeah Gudbranson could even be traded but its doubtful.

And yes I could see Tallon trading 2 of his most underpaid/cheaper and best d-men because they will be EXTREMELY valuable to other teams lacking cap space and needing good d-men. Those 2 guys could bring back some really good assets, like a scoring forward if leveraged properly during the offseason. Also he said he'd be active in the free agent market and its a good yr to go out and get some in free agency (Pitkanen, Ehrhoff, Jovo, Markov, etc). If he gets 2 top d-men, I just feel like one of those guys could be made available via trade.
Quote:
As I've said we have Garrison, Weaver and Kulikov for next year... I want Ellerby there too and I think he'll grab his spot by the end of the year. That's two spots open for Gudbranson, let's say Tallon brings one premier defenseman from free agency and adds more depth (replacing the Wilsons, Callahans and co, like you said and like I said because you didn't read me well there... ) for AHL and NHL...
You may "want" Ellerby there but he's been very inconsistent in the NHL (as well as the AHL for that matter). He needs to earn that spot and if he doesnt, I doubt Tallon keeps him in the NHL. Thats just how Tallon works as we saw with Grabner...you gotta earn everything or you're not gonna be here.

The only guy I could say is really assured of being here next yr is Kulikov. And barring any moves, yes both Garrison and Weaver have contracts so they could be here. Beyond that, nothing is guaranteed so that means there's 3-4 NHL jobs that are open.

If you wanted to be more clear about Wilson & Callahan, then say you wanted them replaced. I dont want either guy re-signed and was making that statement that I dont think Tallon would consider re-signing them. He could add some depth d-men but it will still depend on the AHL affiliation which is in a state of flux right now.

Quote:
Gudbranson will have to beat every depth guy... I know his talent and I know he can do it... But it isn't a given, and in my scenario we only sign one defenseman (I would love Brewer or Jovo, Brewer is younger !) and some depth !

It is likely... And I would like to see Erik and our new shiny top draft pick on our opening roster next year !
I dont think Gudbranson really has to compete against depth guys to be honest. To me, a "depth guy" is someone who can be replaced in the lineup very easily. A guy like Sulzer would be a depth guy and I dont see that as competition for Gudbranson at this point. He's really going to compete against Ellerby and (possibly) Garrison for spots in the lineup.

I really dont know that Tallon only brings in 1 d-man from outside the org either. He could very easily trade for someone too (some are thinking Barker is a possibility since Tallon drafted him and the Wild could trade him). So a lot of scenarios could exist that may prevent Gudbranson from making the team. But like I said, he "should" make it but that doesnt mean I think he's a "lock".