View Single Post
Old
03-19-2011, 12:13 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNYellow View Post
Alright, so it is understood that I should be trying my hardest to concentrate on proper form and technique (as I am new, duh) and that I should be transferring weight from my right leg to my left leg (back to front, as I am right handed, well have a right handed shot). But it seems that the 'lift' cannot be generated when going from right to left (legs again) but when I shoot and keep my weight on my left leg it seems that my shot gets the lift and essentially more overall power. I will try and get a video (which mind you I may look worse off than a 5 year old shooting, but oh well) to demonstrate what I mean. So basically all in all my shot seems better when using the improper leg to push off with, has anyone else experienced this?

Not to point fingers or anything and not to make a huge deal about it, but when reading Jeremys how to hockey article on the wrist shot it seems that he also shoots off the opposite foot in those pictures, is this bad practice?
If you are shooting right there's no way your weight should be on your left (outside) leg the whole time, that is simply poor technique and you should stop doing that immediately. On a traditional wrist shot your weight transfers from your inside (right) to outside (left) leg through the course of the shot, you don't just stand on your outside foot the whole time, ever. Note that this weight transfer starts early, just before you really get into the shooting motion, but continues through the shot. Watch what Cammalleri does in these shots, really shows when in the shot your weight should be transferring:

As for Jeremy shooting off the inside foot, this is a different type of wrist/snap shot. Shooting off the inside foot gives you a quicker, less predictable/obvious release, definitely a VERY useful shot for fooling dmen and goalies as it's an easier shot to conceal in your skating stride (much less set up time), but it's also a harder shot to master/get good power with. When you're learning I'd suggest sticking with the traditional, slower release (where your weight ends up on your outside foot), and once you get that down you can start practicing the quick release (where your weight ends up on your inside foot).

And again, really just focus on good technique and good power, the lift on the shots will come. If you focus too much on raising the puck at all costs you'll just end up with a weak fluttery shot that you chip up instead of powering through. Also work like crazy on skating/edge control, your skating will make you a good hockey player FAR more than your shot will, and you need to be very comfortable on your skates/edges to be able to shoot well regardless.

It takes a long time and a lot of work to get decent at hockey, but it's completely worth it as this sport is TONNES of fun!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote