View Single Post
Old
07-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Ghost of Dale Hunter

vCash: 500
Names of Interest..to me anyway

If the Sabres make any sort of splash in UFA0, these are my bets.

I think they surprise everyone and go after a big name winger.

My bet is they throw serious money at Ziggy Palffy or Glen Murray. Whether or not they get them is a nother story. Anson Carter strikes me as a guy they might fall back on if they cant land a "big name". I dont particularly like him, but he can skate and he might be an ok fit.

I also think they may sign a low level winger, typical 3rd (4th) line scorer or minor leaguer that they feel might thrive under the new rules.

I am thinking a guy like Daniel Cleary would be a great fit. Probably not expensive at all, ton of talent and may benefit under the rules. Jason Ward is another that might catch their eye.

As for defensmen, I would bet the ranch that they go hard after Zhitnik and then fall back on a guy like a Teppo Numminen. Regeir took pains to point out that there was a debate about whether or not they could even negotiate with Zhitnik due to his status. I think they really want him back. I am not sure I love Numminen but he wouldn't hurt.

I am betting they fill out their blueline through a trade. Regardless, I think we will be all underwhelmed with our Defense on paper at the start. I actually expect it will be far better than we anticipate.

Of course, I have been known to be wrong........