View Single Post
Old
08-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Leroyh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
I think people are putting too much stock into Hatcher's year with Detroit. His 2002-2003 season was the best of his career, based on his numbers.

2002-03 Dallas NHL 82 8 22 30 +37 106 159 5.03

He had a major injury in 2003/2004 and was never able to get going. He never had great footspeed to begin with throughout his career and played great in the west which always seemed to play much more wide open then the east. Dont forget this guy has been playing against Detroit, Colorado, Edmonton and Vancouver for most of his career, not trapping and bigger physical teams like Toronto, NJ, etc. in the east. I think if he is back to 100% from his knee injury and is paired with a speedy defenseman like Johnsson or Pitkanen, he could be the player that the Flyers have have been missing for years, that big nasty scary defenseman. Not to mention he has played for Hitch and won a cup. Take a look at the size and skill you have if you pair him with Pitkanen and make your other pairing Johnson Markov. The only concern I woul have with this is pairing Desjardin and Seidenberg. I think that pairing lacks size and grit. We have more than enough speed in our top six to compensate for Hatcher's lack of.

That being said, since he is 33 I would not sign him to any more than a 2-3 year deal. I would also be happy with Foote.
Excellent refutation of the anti-Hatcher bias...

Most dont like Hatcher for personal reasons or based on his performance returning from an injury, I have always seen him as a steady if not top performer, who could anchor the defense and lead a team.

Primeau on offense and Hatcher on Defense... they would be nasty to play against. Very nasty.