View Single Post
Old
08-01-2005, 09:52 AM
turnbuckle*

vCash: 500
You guys should be ecstatic for a couple reasons. First off, Staal is a diamond in the rough, just a superb skater who should excel in a faster paced league.

Second, it's quite apparent that the latest addition to your scouting staff, Tim Murray, was instrumental in Staal being selected. Murray was hired by Sather the day after new Ducks GM failed to renew his contract, and you picked up a fellow with a keen eye for prospects. He scouts mainly in the Ottawa area, and had a chance to see Staal quite often this past season, including in the playoffs against the 67's. I know him quite well, and believe me, he is very high on Staal, and thought he was a sure-fire top seven pick. For the Rangers to trade up to get Staal tells me his word will be seriously considered, and that's not a bad thing for a team that has had some questionable drafts in recent years.

Murray was instrumental in the Ducks picking Getzlaf, Perry, Smid and Lupul, four pretty decent building blocks over the past three drafts. His Ducks moved up in the first round to pick Perry at 28th overall; which proved to be a sound move. Now the Rangers moved up to grab a player who was thought to have dropped; I'm pretty certain Staal won't disappoint.