View Single Post
Old
03-21-2011, 01:08 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I can't see Hannan and Arnott feeling like they need to take 33% pay cuts coming off a cup. And coming off a cup I also feel Knuble and Laich will want more than what you have allotted. Also Wideman's cap hit is $3.937.5 and Chimera's $1.875, not big differences to what you have but still.

The only realistic scenario with Poti IMO that helps with the cap is that he is on LTIR for the rest of his career. But that only allows them to exceed the cap, it doesn't gain them any cap space, so that would mean they are up against the cap for 2 more years.
We can agree to disagree here, but I think it's damn near a certainty that Arnott and Hannan are headed for pay cuts. Neither produces anywhere close to their contract at this point in their careers. While I do agree that playing for a cup winner can inflate the price tag, I think both guys will be cognizant of the fact that they would be taking pay cuts a heck of a lot bigger than 33% if they hadn't found their way onto our team, who had the cast of star players around them to make a couple of old vets look pretty darn good. Hannan was down to 3rd pairing minutes on an awful team. Arnott was on pace for a 32 point season before his trade. To get $3m per for that, and the chance to defend a Stanley Cup, is a pretty fair offer IMO. Perhaps slightly less than they would get on the open market, but not a ton.

Knuble is at the end of his career and his production has dipped. I think $2m per on a 2 year deal is more attractive to a guy like that than a 1 year deal at $2.5 or $2.8 on another team. And Laich is the only guy I really see taking a true hometown discount, out of his loyalty to this organization.

But, in any event, it still doesn't make sense to trade Green. Up the salaries to whatever you like, keep Poti, dish Chimera, and you can accomodate that increase by trading Wideman, who is basically Green-lite. How about this:

Ovie (9.538)- Backstrom (6.7) - Knuble (2.8)
Laich (4.0) - Arnott (3.75) - Semin (6.7)
A. Gordon (.675) - Johansson (.90) - Fehr (2.2)
Beagle (.512) - Gordo (.9) - Hendricks (.825)
King (.637)

Carlson (.846) - Alzner (2.25)
Hannan (3.5) - Green (5.25)
Schultz (2.75) - Poti (2.875)
Erskine (1.5)

Neuvirth (1.15)
Varly (1.25)

TOTAL: $61.5m
Likely 2011-2012 Cap: $61.5-$63m

That's the "Cup lineup" with only two changes, one of which is a clear upgrade, and both of which are easily absorbed. And we would get a couple of picks in return for Wideman and Chimera.