View Single Post
Old
03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I'm glad to see that people seem to have an open mind as far as Green's future with the Caps -- this wasn't the case for a long time.

If Green ends up getting moved, I think everybody would expect him to be the best player in the deal. Is it critical that the Caps get another team to part with a great player? I don't think so, because if MJ continues to progress, I don't see any big holes that have to be addressed if you're gonna give up your best asset. So the Caps can just go for the biggest package out there. You can't always expect to draft Kuznetsov's, so high picks would seem to go along with management's strategy of building a team to last a decade.

But that's just my opinion. The safe assumption is probably that the Caps would look for impact players in trading Green.. but to me it's not a critical issue.
The team is not going to just dump Green. That's a certainty. So the issue becomes identifying what it is they want and finding someone willing to give it. I suspect that, if GMGM were going to deal Green, he might be ok doing a deal in which it's Green for a package of stuff, as opposed to star-for-star. IMO, the package would need to include a 2nd line-caliber forward with a proven track record on an affordable contract with term. Preferably a RW would could be penciled in for years to come with Ovie and Nick, though I'm open to whatever. Maybe Ryane Clowe. Maybe Matt Moulson (though his recent play may have made him untouchable). Maybe Dustin Brown, if the Kings ever stop over-valuing him. Or even Stephen Weiss, if we want a center. Then add a pick or prospect or whatever to equal the value.