View Single Post
Old
03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
tujague

vCash: 500
We have another newbie guide from kdunbar. It covers a lot of the same stuff as NHL's, but it's got numbers!
"THE CANADIAN NEWBIE LIST"

A few words / warnings / for new guys ...

1) Many of your players have temporary free contracts. They will be automatically signed within a week. (Don't worry about it.)

2) Don't spend too much more than 100K until you are more comfortable with the game's economics. You start with 3 M, but this disappears fast and comes back slow. It's easy to overspend when an auction heats up. Give yourself a limit.

3) Building your Training / Regeneration / Youth School / Marketing to 20% right away. There are bonus on multiples of twenty. Consider Training and Regeneration to be equal and opposite, they don't really do anything different from one another. It's difficult to see at first, but just build them evenly and figure it out later. Assuming that your Training and Regeneration are equal, set your "Training Intensity" to 85%. More decreases your player's energy, less wastes training. Set training schedules immediately, never let your players idle for even one day and lose that training.

4) Don't add seats until you begin to sell out many league games. When you do decide to add seats, (many sell outs in a row, ticket price is above league average, etc...) build it in an increment that will have the purchased seats available for your next home game (not a friendly).

5) You get roughly 7M every Wednesday from fans. This is all that keeps your team afloat for awhile. As such, don't panic if you go into the negative balances - you can go as low as -15 M but with no available money but you might miss out on a good buy on the market or other opportunity. Again, wait until you better understand the economics.

6) With that being said, you will be able to find players for 100K who will become immediate starters. Check out the market either way, and get to know it. Also, don't fire anyone with 60 Quality or more without trying to sell them on the market.

7) Quality - Arguably the single most important stat a player has. It's how fast a player improves. Make sure your best quality players are playing, these players will be your stars in five seasons.

8) Potential - The longevity of your players. Your players lose approximately 6 potential points a year, and once they hit 0, they stop gaining skills. They also go beyond zero and start getting worse. (94 - 88 - 82 - 76 - 71 - 65 - 59 - 53 - 47 - 41 - 35 - 29 - 24 - 18 - 12 - 6 - 0 - -6 - -12 etc...)

Age-MAX-MIN Potential
17 = 94 = 59
18 = 88 = 53
19 = 82 = 47
20 = 76 = 41
21 = 71 = 35
22 = 65 = 29
23 = 59 = 24
24 = 53 = 18
25 = 47 = 12
26 = 41 = 6
27 = 35 = 0
28 = 29 = -6
29 = 24 = -12
30 = 18 = -18
31 = 12 = -24
32 = 6 = -29
33 = 0 = -35

9) Scouting - All your players "actually" have one of these values for potential. If you look though your players though, you'll see all kinds of numbers, falling in between these numbers. This is because your scouts haven't sized up the player yet. You learn the player's exact quality at 18 and potential at 22. Until then, your scouts make a guess. Under Team -> Scout you can choose a player to learn their exact value. This is important, players can be off by as much as 20%.

10) example A player with 90 Q and 60 P player compared with a player with 60 Q and 90 P with the same AI stats. The 90 Q guy will reach a higher AI level, but the 90 P guy will be around 5 seasons longer.

11) Book up all free days with friendlies to help with the cash flow. If possible, try to book away/visiting friendlies against high league opponents (I.I II.1 II.2). They have better stadiums than you and will make more money per game. Friendly income is split between the two teams.

12) Read and ask lots of questions! We'll help you out.

This is a guide from someone who doesn't post here. I thought it was filled with some interesting info, and he seems to go into more detail than the other two. It's a huge block of text right now. Hopefully I add some paragraphs to make it a bit easier to read.

Quote:
Rachmede's Newbie Guide

This is meant to be a general introduction to one way of seeing the game for beginners. It is really a general approach because I do not intend to explain here in detail all the technicalities of the game (for example, how to well develop a winger or a center, how to properly build your lines). Instead I intend to give an overview of the "theoretical" foundations of the game and what to keep in mind to make your team progress. Here is advice from a player who has now over six seasons under the belt.

First and foremost, you need to understand that Hockey Arena is a long term game. Patience is a must and if you hope the adrenaline of a multiplayer shooter online, you're definitely not in the right place! To win in this game, you must realize that a player has a life cycle (related to his potential): he is primarily young and bad, then, with training and experience, he becomes well, possibly very good, then he will get older and eventually be good for retirement. It's the same for an entire team team, at least, if it is well built. I will explain further the idea of the life cycle of a team, even if I guess you can already understand it a little by analogy to the life cycle of a player, and I will get more in deteail on this in Section 3, but first, let start by the beginning!

1.Initially
You just have your team, your players are not good enough for your league and unfortunately it is useless to try to develop them because all sections of your arena is at 15%. In short, the group of players you inherit at the start will not get you anywhere. There may be a player with over 90 quality you can keep (I've personally had one that played during six seasons in my team and did a good job), but otherwise, if you hope to win immediately, you will have to buy better players.

That said, the first problem is that you get very little money to do so. The good news though is that it is quite possible in League VI to buy players between $ 100,000 and $ 300,000 and successfully promote to League V. Thus, with a budget of 4.5 million (not more, you'll need your money for something else), it is quite possible to build yourself a decent team to have fun right from the start. It is certainly possible to "buy a place in League IV", that is to say, to successfully buy players good enough to take you up League IV without investing in your arena, but even if the league level will increase your finances, you'll never be able to afford to buy players that will allow you to go higher because you will need to constantly buy new players to replace old ones. If you really want to make it to the higher leagues, "buying your place" in a higher league by purchasing a group of players to go there will not lead very far.

Also, since your training center is very low, it is useless to try to develop players, so there is no need to buy youth. Prefer the old players between 100 and 120 in AI that will give you 2 or 3 more seasons (12 to -6 potential), they are not expensive and can lead you in League V. It is equally useless to look at the quality of players since you cannot develop them and anyway old players do not really develop. However, their potential will be important because eventually you will have to replace them ... in 2 or 3 seasons, and you will see in the next section that 2 or 3 seasons is not arbitrary. Finally, try also to avoid players with high salaries, you will need the money to build your arena.

2. Arena: Training and Regeneration centres
When you start, all parts of your arena are at 15%, which is very low. The two most important features are the training and the regeneration centers. As you may have read elsewhere, they are equally important and must be developed in parallel since your players can train effectively only if they can recover from it. These two sections are most important since it is they who will eventually help you develop players, but more importantly, as we shall see in the next section, a group of players.

However, it is useless to consider developing players before you reach 80% in the training and regeneration centers. It is also useless to keep a good young player you drafted in the idea of developing him before reaching 80%. Before that, your players will not even train at 30% per day, which represents 21 points in a season on AI. Initially, you'll probably drive percentages below 20% (20% AI = 14 points per season, 15% = 10 points). When your training and regeneration centers will be 100%, you will be able to train 70 quality players to more than 30%, 80 quality players to over 40% and 90 quality players between 40 and 80%, if you're playing them. Thus, before 80% in the training center, sell the good young players you pull, you will need this money later!

Here is the charter of the number of days required to increase by 1% at all different levels of development:
* 0-24%: 1 day
* 25-49%: 2 days
* 50-74%: 3 days
* 75-99%: 4 days
* 100: 5 days
Thus, to reach 80% of development in your training and recovery centers, you'll need at least 149 days (or a little over 2 seasons) if you increase whenever you can. Achieving 100% you will take at least 230 days (or a little over 3 seasons). You may see now why, initially, it is wise to buy players that can give you 2 or 3 seasons, this group of players will get you to League V and allow you to experiment until you can start develop players.

In this sense, your first three seasons in Hockey Arena should serve you to increase your training and regeneration centers, to discover the game, to experiment with your lines, try the tactics and all the subtleties of the game, explore the market and learn what is the right price for a player etc.. That said, try not to overspend, because after those three seasons, you will need money to replace your old players by a group of promising youngsters that you will then be able to develop. Also, spending too much on the market may prevent you from having the money to invest in your arena.

3. Develop a first group of players
To fully develop the young players need to be in a team that has training and regeneration centers to 100% AND THEY MUST PLAY. After three seasons, training and regeneration should be at 100% (or almost), you may even have developed a few other sections of your arena. You will then stat to develop players. In fact, you will develop a group of players: 1 goalie (the backup may be a good level older guy for replacement in case of injury) and 15 players (plus a few cheap players in case of injury). These players will play ALL games, including friendlies, so they will train more and take more experience. Play only 3 lines, your players will have more ice time and will thus get more experience.

So you’ll need to buy 16 players between 17 and 19 years old with the best quality and the best possible potential. You will not have a huge budget at this point, but in sacrificing a little on the quality, the potential, the starting AI or the distribution of AI on players you when purchase them, it will be possible to buy players who will reach 200 IA at 25 years of age, which should allow you to have a team that will get you to III leagues.

Obviously, during the first 3 seasons, your team will be young and inexperienced. You must therefore expect and accept to lose. But your players will train and will gain experience. Your team will take on average between 20-25 points per season in IA and about 25 experience points per player per season. You can expect to get to III leagues in 6-8 seasons.

Meanwhile, since you do not spend money on buying players and you'll begin to earn performance bonuses (since your team will eventually be dominant), you will have enough money to primarily invest in your youth school and secondly in other sections of your arena.

Increasing your youth school is very important because it you will increase your chances to pull out some good players, in addition to increasing the starting AI of you players (starting AI of players is related to their quality and level of school club) . Thus, during the 5 or 6 first years of rebuilding your team, you should sell all good players you pull to make money (no need to keep them since they will not be on the same pace as the rest your team but of course you can keep them if the timing is good on your team). After six seasons, you can think of to keep them (if you're playing them immediately) for your next rebuild.

Meanwhile, it would also be wise to increase your scouting department, since it will be very useful during your second reconstruction. You will then pay much more for the players and it will be even more important to scout them before buying.

Also, in addition to developing the various sections of your arena, consider that you will need to accumulate a lot of money for your next reconstruction to minimize the compromises you will have to make in the purchase of your players. The more money you have, the better the players you’ll be able to buy, so you can go further with this second group and hope to have a winning team in League I.

4. develop a 2nd group

You will then certainly have enough experience in the game to know which players to buy. You will probably go down to League IV and hopefully go up league I.

Conclusion
A final word to explain the above. The approach proposed here is aimed at managers who wish to reach the League I. My approach is based on the assumption (verified) that the players needed to go to league I and be competitive are extremely rare on the market, when they are available it is too expensive to buy enough of them and they do not have enough seasons to give anyway. The only way to go in League I is to produce one's own players who will all be dominant at the same time.

To produce its players, a team must have training and regeneration centers at 100% and this requires three seasons (Phase 1). Once done, the managers will not have enough money to buy a sufficient number of players that will allow them to go to league I and compete there, so they must buy players not quite as good that cost them So much cheaper and develop a team that will allow them to get to League III (beginning of phase 2). As the team grows, the manager must build youth school and then scouting department (developing it too early is useless since it will then the manage will have to pay the daily cost) in addition to accumulate as much money as possible in anticipation of Phase 3. Getting to league III will allow manager to have fun, to learn even more about the game in addition to making more money by playing in higher leagues. At the end of phase 2, the manager should then have enough money (between $ 800M and $ 1 billion) to buy a group of young players who could eventually become good enough to lead the the team to league I and compete.

Here then, in conclusion, the general pattern:

Phase 1: Buy a bunch of old players and develop training and regeneration centers. Three seasons.

Phase 2: Buy a group of young players capable of leading the team in League III. Develop youth school and the scouting department and earn money for Phase 3.

Phase 3. : Buying players good enough to go to a league I and be patient.