Thread: Injury Report: 2011 Injury Thread
View Single Post
Old
03-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHB View Post
Your reasoning is off. A scratched cornea does not cause excessive bleeding around the eye. Also, it is not treated through surgery. The three possibilities I listed earlier (retrobulbar hemorrhage, optic canal fracture, and ruptured globe injury) are distinct diagnoses. They can occur together, but they are not subsets of each other.

Ah, I understand. The three diagnoses are not subsets of the other, can overlap, and don't describe extremes along a linear path (based on the symptoms we had witnessed).

On the scratched cornea, I was a little confused by the following wiki account of Steve Yzerman (the eye of the player seen posted in a picture by VanEric):

On May 1, 2004, Yzerman was hit in the eye by a deflected slapshot by the Calgary Flames defenseman Rhett Warrener in a playoff game against the Calgary Flames, breaking his orbital bone and scratching his cornea. He underwent eye surgery following the incident, and was sidelined for the rest of the 2004 post-season. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Yzerman)

It says he required surgery after the incident, but that could be due to the broken orbital bone, and not the scratched cornea. In any event, your statement outlining that surgery is not required for a broken orbital bone certainly clears things up. Thank you.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 03-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.