View Single Post
Old
08-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Mark Eaton, Martin Havlat, Marian Gaborik.

One of these names is not like the other.

If it were Hartnell, Legwand, Erat...that's one thing. Those guys are core, irreplaceable members of the team. This is MARK EATON we're talking about! YES, he played great for us last season...but are you that convinced there's not better, out on the market? Or is this still about you not believing we'll SIGN better?
The names may be different, but the situation is the exact same. Its true Havlat and Gaborik are inifinitely more valuable to their team, but on the same token, they were all in the same position. We did not need to let Eaton go just because he felt he was worth more than his QO.

I am without a doubt convinced that there are better players on the market, and I am fully convinced that management will try and find those players. However, let me throw something out for you to chew on... Adam Foote received 17, 17!!!!!!!!!!! contacts from different teams incquiring about his services. With a self-imposed cap its going to be very hard to compete for that type of player, especially considering the amounts of holes on this teams. Holes, I remind you, that were partially opened by our releasing of a top 4 defensemen.....who would have been able to be qualified for less than 1 million dollars.

You do the math.

Its not that I particullarly like Eaton, its what he could have brought to this team for the money. He was steady and reliable for us last year, and pretty cheap. We don't have enough money to nab two top 4 defensemen and a top 6 center (at least, I think its a stretch to think so with only around 6 million to spend on UFA.) Unless of course, those 3 players were around the quality of Stumpel, Numminen, and dare I say.....Mark Eaton. These certainly aren't the name free agents we all want to be brought in. WIth Eaton in the fold, we would have probably had 4.5-4.9 million to spend on one top 4 defensemen and 1 top 6 winger...This is a huge improvement, but I guess I'm the only one that feels that way.

NMK, I realize there is no use in crying over spilt milk, but surely you at least acknowledge the point I am trying to make. Eaton was ours to use/lose. We choose to cut ties with him, and it made our offseason plan that much harder to excute, rather than easier. I want a top 2 defensemen and a top line center. Now, I'm thinking we will have to settle for much less because we have an extra important hole to fill. I could be wrong, and if I am, I will gladly eat crow after the fact.

Last edited by Enoch: 08-01-2005 at 09:58 PM.