View Single Post
Old
03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
McDonagh is really something. Him and Sauer i just keep shaking my head with these guys every night.

Learning and building. The footwork and recovery speed McDonagh has is scary good. I dont even think people realize it when hes out there. I see him (seemingly) "beat" by a forward only to take 2 strides and be in perfect position.

I want to guard against sounding like a homer but holy crap is this kid going to be something. He has flashes of Brian Leetch in the defensive zone. And im not trying to be silly with that comment. Forget Leetch's offensive ability. Im not talking about that. He was very underrated on defense. McDonagh takes intelligent routes to the puck and seems to get himself out of trouble very well. If he overcompensates he has the ability to wind it back up and snap back into position. Hes got the crazy legs like Leetch had. Hard to explain but when you have that type of skating ability its an uncanny ability. I am gushing, but its warranted imo. Because this kid has room to grow and develop.

Gotta give credit were credit is due though. Glen Sather- hell of a job.
There was one play against Pittsburgh where McD was at the right point and the puck got poked by him and no one else was back. For half a second it looked like it was a sure 2v0 breakaway. McD just turned, accelerated and calmly picked up the puck and skated it behind our net. For so many other D-men that situation would have meant disaster.

I said it in the Gilroy thread. McD is playing better than a lot of people realize.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote