View Single Post
Old
03-24-2011, 01:38 PM
artilector

vCash: 500
re: Laich

After some thinking about it.. as much as I think 4m is a big overpayment for a "good complementary player".. I can see how it could work out ok for the Caps.

-- if Mojo can hack it as top-6 C, it eliminates the huge need for a legit 2C, which is what would most directly conflict with re-signing Laich, because that's one role that he can't fill.

-- Slotting Mojo in top-6, I don't see a big cap increase for the next two seasons, until 2013-2014

-- Among UFAs, don't really see somebody that I would really want for the Caps to go after, especially among forwards. As for defensemen, there are some guys there like Markov, Kaberle, etc.. but the truth is the Caps need to sort out their roster and plans on D (Schultz, Poti) before they can even start thinking about that. And if they do sort it out, I think I'd be fine with just bringing back Hannan.

-- As far as I can tell, salary cap is expected to rise 2-3 mil, and that's a healthy chunk of extra dough. If .5 or something of that goes to Laich.. seems reasonable in a way.

So.. this is all in Laich's favor.