03-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Myers was younger and was a 2nd Team All Star before making the jump directly to the NHL. Since McNabb finished as a 1st teamer and has an additional year of WHL experience under his belt, is it possible he is ready for the jump to the NHL or will depth force him to work his way through the AHL?
Myers was also on a freakish development curve at that point, from WJC's, to the end of the WHL season, on through the 'dub playoffs and the Memorial Cup -- he kept getting better and better and better. McNabb's been on an impressive run but right now his rise hasn't been as meteoric (although we'll see how he fares in the playoffs this year) but a steady riser over two seasons. DW below has covered most of my thoughts as well --

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
It's conceivable that he could make the team next year out of camp, but not likely. He'd have to be pretty impressive in camp to earn a spot over all of the other guys in the pipeline. Obviously, things could change if we trade away a bunch of D prospects over the summer, but it still seems like a long shot. Remember that Myers was in a different situation because he wasn't eligible for the AHL. The expectation was that he'd get a 10-game look and then probably be shipped back to the W. He was so impressive, though, that they just couldn't send him back to Kelowna. If he had been eligible for the A, I bet they would have started him there and called him up later.

McNabb will most likely start in Portland next year and then fight to earn his way to the top of the call-up charts. If he kills it in Portland and impresses on his call-up(s), he might stick. I wouldn't necessarily expect it, though. Myers progressed unusually fast for a D-man.
The biggest variable of course is trades this summer. Buffalo has two primary stockpiles to make moves to improve the NHL roster: scoring wingers (Stafford, Pominville, Gerbe, perhaps Adam) and young defensemen (Sekera, Butler, MAG, Schiestel, Brennan, Pysyk, and yes... McNabb). It wouldn't surprise me to see at least one of each dealt this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Spot on.

The Pirates should have plenty of nasty next year with McNabb, Foligno and Kassian.
Also makes me wonder if they're going to bring Fienhage in for an ATO to get a look at him at the pro level and taking that a step further, if he impresses, they get a 6'4" 220 lbs right-hander on the farm who can play a rugged game too. Portland could have a much rougher, heavier lineup next year. I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Thanks. I'd also add that Myers had the advantage of being one of the few RD in the organization.

I just hope that McNabb isn't destined for Portland regardless of how he performs in training camp because of the numbers. I think we need to do what we can to shed Morrisonn. He's overpaid for his role as the #6-7 defensman and we'd have ample candidates to fill that spot from inside the system.

From what I've read (not seen) McNabb sounds like he's going to be a special player and if there's any possibility he's ready I don't want him "wasting" games in Portland when he could/should be helping Buffalo.
A lot will depend on Brayden's skating. He's made strides, no pun intended, but it's an area that he'll need to keep working at, keep improving. I'm also not sure if his offensive game will translate as completely to the pro ranks--it's going to depend on what the team is asking him to focus on. They picked him as a rugged kid with potential. He's still rugged, but he's become a minute eating, all-situations d-man for Kootenay.... so do they look at him in that sort of role going forward? I'd expect they look for him to focus more on his own zone first and let the scoring part of his game evolve. At his size and style, seasoning is probably going to be important... and he'll get that in Portland.

I also don't expect the current D-unit to be back en masse next fall. The only two who look like locks would be Myers and Leopold. Beyond that, RFA's, UFA's, and a struggling depth guy (Morrisonn as you noted)... someone's not going to be here.