Old
03-26-2011, 10:24 AM
The Goalie Mask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I am not for re-signing.

And this is why:

Clearly, there is zero financial risk to Molsons, and there is zero cap risk if Marky goes on LTIR forever.

But there is one nagging problem and one major risk remaining if we sign Marky, and he gets hurt again:

The problem? Losing your all star D in October-November again, and having to use picks and prospects to replace him, as has happened the last two years. This affects the Habs long term.

And more importantly, the risk: Not having an all star puck moving killer no. 1 D all year during our cup window.

This has to stop. That means taking on another 5 Mill solid top 2 D this summer for 4-5 years, to replace Marky. Why must we do this? Here's why:

Our Cup window, assuming Pax is OK, starts next year and lasts for 3-4 years. We need to win with Price, soon. And we need one D at Marky's level to win it all.

And we cannot afford 2 D at Marky's level. We need the money for one more game changer forward.

We have a window now, with Price, and we cannot afford to take risks with our no. 1 defenceman. We have to have a guy that's money in the bank. Marky is not that D sadly.
I understand your point and it is valid.

But I think they should still sign him with a contract that has incentives(games played). But what they should also do is have a contingency plan to get a top defenseman if he does go down to injury. This way they are not without a top experienced defensemen for the playoff run. They have to be better prepared this time around so that we are not doing patch work to our defensive core which is what we have done the last 2-3 years.

The Goalie Mask is offline   Reply With Quote