View Single Post
Old
03-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you commit to Derek Stepan as the #1c next season, you're comitting to another year of fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot, you're committing to wasting a year of Lundqvist, and - worst of all - you're committing to a lottery ticket. And this is coming from someone who really likes Stepan's game.

I just dont know what it is...is the fanbase so scarred from overpaying guys that didnt deserve it that they dont see a legitimate talent when one becomes available via free agency? Because Brad Richards is just that - a guy that would be worth the investment, for once.

Or is it that theyve fallen so far in love with this prospect base, that they legitimately think these guys can get the job done themselves at some point down the road?

One or both of these lines of thinking will lead to a consistent stream of mediocrity - fighting for a playoff spot every year where more than half the teams make the postseason

You are searching for an answer to, "what the hell is wrong with people who disagree with me?" and naturally aren't finding what the real answer is.

The real answer is that with or without Brad, next year, the Rangers won't win the Cup, won't make the Finals, and probably won't win more than one round. If they get into the East Finals, it will be a major achievement. With or without Brad.

The time to bring in UFAs, and even trade youth-for-age is when the team is peaking. That will happen in 2-4 years from now. By then, Brad will be too old and too overpaid, and will actually prevent the team from winning the Cup.

In 2 years, I will support signing a Brad Richards quality player. But not now. Not if it will not lead us to a Cup today, and prevents us from winning one in 3 years.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote