View Single Post
Old
03-26-2011, 04:08 PM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
You are searching for an answer to, "what the hell is wrong with people who disagree with me?" and naturally aren't finding what the real answer is.

The real answer is that with or without Brad, next year, the Rangers won't win the Cup, won't make the Finals, and probably won't win more than one round. If they get into the East Finals, it will be a major achievement. With or without Brad.

The time to bring in UFAs, and even trade youth-for-age is when the team is peaking. That will happen in 2-4 years from now. By then, Brad will be too old and too overpaid, and will actually prevent the team from winning the Cup.

In 2 years, I will support signing a Brad Richards quality player. But not now. Not if it will not lead us to a Cup today, and prevents us from winning one in 3 years.
I disagree. On the assumption that Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Staal, Girardi, Sauer and McDonagh continue to improve (or at least play as well as they did this season), the addition of a guy like Richards could be just what pushes this team from being a good one to being a real playoff threat. You add him, and the Rangers have a really well-balanced scoring threat across several lines.

It's not like Richards is 100 years old and on the downslope of his career -- he's 30 (the same age Messier was when the Rangers picked him up, remember).

The Rangers have been bitten on the UFA market before, but the way to build a winner remains a balance of drafting and key acquisitions -- you can't just concentrate on one and then the other.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote