View Single Post
Old
03-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Just like Plekanec was going elsewhere, right, and Markov 4 years ago with Washington, right?

And Boucher did go to Columbus too, right?

If the Habs want to sign Markov, he'll come back. Why would he leave now that they're better then they've been in ages (considering his absence, and Gorges too, and the rest of the many injuries)? He seemed to really like Subban too. He finally has someone really good to play on the right side.

Sure Markov could sign elsewhere, but do you seriously believe that those are the odds? If I were to bet on that, I would put my money on Markov staying, and that's not based on pure guessing, nor on a childish conception that the negative preconclusion is the one to always be expected as the result. It's based on knowing Markov chose Montreal over other cities before, for close to less than free market value (could easily have had 6 on the market) while he already had the opportunity to join Ovy in Washington, and just didn't. knowing he also said he wanted to stay in Montreal before that signing, and has made that comment yet again last summer (like Plekanec also did before signing back).
Were there people really saying Plekanec would sign elsewhere? Unlike with Markov and Boucher, Plekanec didn't have competition and was irreproachable. Habs had to keep him no matter what. Boucher was too good to be an AHL coach and Martin wasn't going anywhere while Markov has injury baggage + the PG has seen his team both win a series without him and (hopefully) make the playoffs without him. I don't think PG would have the same desperation to keep Markov as Plekanec for example. I don't doubt Markov wants to stay, hell he got his citizenship, but I have doubts in how PG will go about negotiating.

I think Markov should be in the same boat as Plekanec since players of his caliber are very rare and hopefully Habs see it the same way. I'd bury Gomez in the minors before letting Markov go, injury risk or not. For his talent, you take the chance.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote