03-27-2011, 09:38 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Wayne Fish has an article:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/fl...5bc31e7c1.html

Quote:
Versteeg doesn't sound concerned. He's a proven goal-scorer and knows how to play at crunch time, as the Flyers learned when facing the Stanley Cup-winning Chicago Blackhawks last June.

"Obviously, offensively, you're not where you want to be," Versteeg said before the game at Nassau Coliseum. "But that comes through hard work and good bounces here and there.

"I think chance-wise and opportunity-wise, it's all been there. For whatever reason, it doesn't go in but I think it's also getting adjusted to playing a position and taking it from there."

Coach Peter Laviolette experimented with Versteeg at center for a couple games with James van Riemsdyk and Daniel Carcillo last week. But for the past few games, he's been back at wing with Mike Richards.

"You know, it's been good over the last seven or eight games with different guys and getting used to different players," Versteeg said. "In some cases you have to play with different guys. The lineup is so deep you can play with almost anyone at any time.

"Now I'm back with Richie and we've had some success. The last two games have gone pretty well. Opportunity-wise against Washington was pretty good and Richie scored a goal. Like I said, it will come with hard work. A guy like Richie, I just have to find ways to get open."

Versteeg admits he's been a little jumpy with the puck. With time, things will settle down.

"Yeah, you start gripping your stick a little tight at times," he said. "But that's not the case right now. It's just bearing down and putting them in when you can. I've been through stretches before where it's been like this and you just have to work hard to get out of them."

Laviolette isn't worried about Versteeg's offensive production. Just stay on the plus side, which he's done with a plus 2.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote