Thread: Injury Report: What happend to Paarvi?
View Single Post
Old
03-27-2011, 03:31 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I just don't understand how a guy can be that woozy coming off, and then ten minutes later decide he's alright. I mean he obviously suffered a concussion on that hit, right?
Not necessarily. I have had this happen twice, the only 2 times I have thought I perhaps had a concussion, and both times I could barely stand up to get off the ice, falling 2 or 3 times on the way to bench.

Anyone who has been in a fight before, which I have not, or has been hit in the head pretty hard, knows that you can easily lose your legs and look out of it without having a concussion or any of the symptoms. For myself, both times I felt a little off, but it never lead to any headaches, dizziness, etc.

The way I look at it, when a boxer takes a punch to the head, he often stumbles and can't get up, but that could happen to a boxer 40-50 times in his career, do all of those end up being concussions? Seems unlikely, or else they wouldn't continue to do it. For sports like boxing and hockey the severe ones probably are all concussions and lead to symptoms, but I think the force of getting hit in the head or having your head hit the ice would be enough to leave a guy in a little bit of a daze.

I have seen basketball players fall and hit their head on the court, leave a little woozy, then be back and play the whole 2nd half.

Obviously, if Paajarvi failed the concussion test implemented by the new protocol, he never would have been allowed to come back and play in the last bit of the game and overtime.

Let's just hope there are no symptoms over the next few days, then I think we are in the clear.

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote