View Single Post
Old
03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
The Saw Is the Law

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Jani Lajunen? Or did you not include him because he has contract already?
Oh forgot him. He think he should be just before Rajala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
IMO, Vatanen should be ahead of Salomäki and Donskoi, possibly even Pulkkinen as well. Definitely ahead of Ma.Granlund too.
Knew that I will receive critic about putting Vatanen so low. I'm not high on this kid and I tell why:

Many people have said Mikael Granlund is too small for NHL. That's total bull****. There are many 5'10 highly skilled TOP line players in NHL. Danny Briere, Patrick Kane, Ryan Callahan, Saku Koivu. Then there are even smaller forwards than Granlund like Michael Cammalleri, Derek Roy, Tyler Ennis, Martin St. Louis, Mats Zuccarello, Brian Gionta, Nahan Gerbe. You know Granlund can easily join this group. He has serious skill set and 'killing mentality'.

Ok, now it comes to Vatanen. He is even smaller than Gralund and Vatanen is D-man. Forwards doesn't need the size but D-men really need size. Vatanen is about 5'9 you know any 5'9 D-men in NHL? Lets check NHL.com how many have played in this season. Full list is here:

Marc-Andre Bergeron 18 games played, listed 5'9 in nhl.com but eliteprospects say 5'10
Brett Lebda 41games played, listed 5'10 in eliteprospects
Lee Sweatt 3games played
Mike Weaver 76games played
Jared Spurgeon 46games played
Francis Bouillon 44games played, listed as 5'8!

So in NHL there are only 6 D-men same size as Vatanen. Only one of them is smaller than Vatanen. Now a bell is ringing in my head. 5'9 D-men just doesn't make it to the NHL. All of those 6 are close to 200lbs, Vatanen is only 165lbs. Vatanen could be dominant in Europe right now but he is not even close to NHL. It's the physics. Vatanen will be down on ice every time there is corner battle, every time he gets hit down goes Vatanen. You can't play good hockey when your butt touches the ice in every shift.

You know his Coast-To-Coast thing. When he stars that, he doesn't know when to stop. Failing leads to ugly turnover and odd man rush to own zone. Sometimes like 4on4 Vatanen starts to attack like forward, which is good thing but problem is he doesn't know when to step back to D position, sometimes it's too late. In the NHL his tricks doesn't work like in Europe.

Anyways hope dies last. There are 13 D-men 5'10. Including some elite defenders like Timonen or Rafalski. You know Kime and Rafa had really long way to the NHL. Timonen played five years in Europe after draft. Rafalski stepped to NHL at the age of 26. If Vatanen improves his poke check and weight he could be beast with his speed. But it's not happening today. Definitely Vatanen have skills. The big question is how he can breed those skills to fit the NHL.

Now I shall go to sleep (but i'll watch Vancouver-Columbus third period... )