View Single Post
Old
03-28-2011, 11:23 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Clint Smith, C/LW

Smith patterned his game after the great Frank Boucher, and won the Lady Byng award twice (1939, 1944) back when it was a prestigious award that went to a player who played clean, competitive hockey.

He was a member of the great 1940 Rangers Stanley Cup team and was inducted into the HHOF as a player in 1991.

Points finishes: 3rd, 4th, 5th*, 5th*, 9th
Goals finishes: 4th, 5th, 10th*
Assist finishes: 1st*, 6th*, 6th, 6th

*War year

Smith played during a weak era, but he was one of the best offensive players during this era. Over his 9 year peak (37-38 to 45-46), Smith was 3rd in total points behind only Bill Cowley and Toe Blake, and slightly ahead of Syd Howe. This time period cuts off Howe's best year and includes one season when he was clearly past his prime, but it does include Howe's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best season. (It also ignores that Howe spent an unknown amount of time as a defenseman).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
For 10 seasons, Clint Smith symbolized the successful combination of high skill level and sportsmanship
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOH
...became a key member of their 1940 Stanley Cup team. Smith won the Lady Byng Trophy for gentlemanly play in 1938-39 as a Ranger and again in 1943-44 as a member of the Chicago Black Hawks, and totaled a mere 24 penalty minutes in 483 regular season games. He played in the NHL for eleven years and was not signaled off for a penalty in four of those seasons.

In 1943-44, Smith set an NHL record by recording 49 assists in a season while playing on a line with future Hall of Famers Bill Mosienko and Doug Bentley. The line set an NHL scoring record that season with 219 total points. Smith became the first player to score into an empty net after the league had revised the rules to allow teams to pull their goalie, and he shares the NHL record for most goals in a period with four, set on March 4, 1945, against Montreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOH one on one
"I really looked up to Frank Boucher. I enjoyed the way he played and wanted to fashion my game after him," Smith says

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote