Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Thank you.

I know there are some hits in the NCAA UFA market but they're few and far between. People get wound up over these players every year and so few end up being real impact NHLers. I'd be happy with adding a couple Derek Whitmore's to the organization but... it's not something I'm losing sleep over.
The Bozak conversation is interesting. Buffalo has a wide, glaring hole in the middle down on the farm and in their development/depth charts. Signing somone the likes of DaCosta or Miele is at the lease, a move to shore up their AHL level scoring and at worst, an opportunity to groom someone for NHL play. Both the Rangers and Leafs plugged their guys into the lineup immediately (which may have been in part design as an agreement of the signing to shave off a pro year, see Irwin, Brady last year with the Leafs). Buffalo doesn't HAVE to plug a player like this into the lineup. What they do need though are quality scoring bodies for the farm and if either of this kids can provide that for the simple cost of just cash? Do it. Show that they want to make the franchise deeper/better through investment of capital.

Also, the "hype" factor for either of those players has something to do with the rabid nature of their respective fanbases and the size of the press contigent who follow those two teams. Bozak is an NHLer -- he's not a great NHLer but he's good enough to be playing in the league. Similarly, Gilroy has been an NHLer for over 100 games over the last two years. That's the point here -- finding talent that is good enough to make it to the NHL for nothing but the investment.

It matters not where they find players. What matters is filling organizational needs from whatever feeder system they can -- draft pick, UFA signing, trade. All have merit.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote