View Single Post
Old
03-29-2011, 06:56 PM
SLang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
When Tim Leiweke was pitching Staples Center to Kings fans before it was built, one of the primary selling points was that the Kings would finally have their own building and that they would ALWAYS have first priority.

So much for that....
I took part in the design/construction of Staples and can tell you from first-hand experience that the Lakers were priority #1 and the Kings #2. Clippers were an afterthought. Can you really blame them however since most of us would agree the Lakers are the marquee tenant?

Put it this way, NBBJ was the architect for the entire facility, but when it came to the Laker "areas", they brought their own architect on board to "consult" with NBBJ.

I can't say any of this really affected the ice surface to the point that it caused Kopitar's injury. If his skate got caught in a hole, who's to say it's not a hole that could have occurred on any NHL sheet? Sharp skates are going to get caught up on ice no matter what happens if all the stars align right (or wrong, as the case may be).

Injuries happen in hockey. Nearly 450 games have been played there since 1999, and this is the first time (that I know of) that an injury has even focused attention on the ice.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote