View Single Post
Old
03-30-2011, 12:39 AM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
I think almost everything has been covered off, but here's my insight:

- I went to school with many Newmarket Royals (Sarnia Sting). As said above, some were pretty bright and others were not. To my knowledge, we didn't have a "gifted athletes" program...but that was several (almost 20 ) years ago. They went back to their own schools after the Royals missed the playoffs (halfway through second semester).

- They plan road trips so that the kids miss as little school as possible. That's why you see almost no Monday and Tuesday games, and very few Wednesday / Sunday night games. Players would miss some Thursdays and Fridays when they were on the road - but they had to catch up.

- The Colts all go to the same high school as my oldest, and from what I understand they now do something with their spare to make things easier too (all last class spares to accommodate practice I think). I'm not sure what they do for the underagers who wouldn't have a spare.

- I think they usually try to have kids at a semestered school so that it's less disruptive. I also think that's why the trade deadline is so early in the season.

P.S. - Mark Scheifele was in at Cornell - and you have to be pretty smart to get in there. Some of these kids are quite bright.

Best,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote