Old
03-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
I tend to agree with that, but what Rice was pointing out was the spread between the Wings with Datsyuk and the Wings without him being significant... and it is, of course... but how many games worse would it be with him replaced at cost as opposed to missing entirely? Instead of going 11-9-4 would the team go 15-6-3? 16-6-2?

That's the kind of spread I'm interested in seeing (as if it was possible). What does Datsyuk, specifically, bring to the Wings that they couldn't have gotten from spending that 6.7 mil on someone else, or a couple someone elses? I'm not saying that to imply Datsyuk's a hack or anything, far from it, I'm just curious about it.
I don't think we could replace Datsyuk's bang for the buck on the open market, even from multiple players. He brings so much to the table that, even if the Wings could make themselves a deeper team, they wouldn't be as difficult to match up against.

If we could pull of something like the Kessel deal and get a top2 pick, along with a some cap space and players, then we might be in business. But I can't imagine Burke being that dumb again, though maybe he'd give us a 2nd rounder for Logan Pyett.