View Single Post
Old
03-30-2011, 11:14 PM
matt trick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Toews View Post
Nah. They've got, for next year, Stewart, Backes, Perron, Oshie, McDonald, Berglund, Steen and Tarasenko with Schwartz and McRae waiting in the wings. If anything, they have too many forwards and it's certainly not worth giving up a 1st rounder for one who's worse than all of the above apart from the youngsters.
Perron, Stewart, Backes, McDonald and Oshie would be in the top 6 of nearly all NHL teams. Taransenko is IMO, the best wing prospect around, and owns the highest ceiling. However, they desperately need a #1 center, and very recently needed another first line threat, which they received in Stewart.

Let's say hypothetically they sign or trade for a Marleau-type (1st line, but not top 15) free agent in the next couple of years:

Stewart-Marleau-Perron
Backes-Berglund-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Taransenko

That would be a ridiculous group of forwards. They don't need a Devin Setoguchi, they need a #1 center (maybe a #1 all around d-man, but I think Shatty/Pietro/Cole will be just fine). Replace Marleau with Setoguchi and they aren't really scaring anyone- though still good. Even though they have a lot of assets, I don't see a need to use any of them on a solid 2nd liner. They should be lying in the weeds ready to move if Statsny, Spezza, Richards, Carter, or someone of that ilk becomes available. Even in Pavelski, Zajac, or one of those type players was available for an OS, I think I'd pass, they need to save their powder for the perfect fit, and when looking at their core players, they've got nothing but time.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote