View Single Post
Old
04-02-2011, 02:40 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
To answer your question, yes, there are laws in Canada against "hate speech". I don't know the extent of them but I know they are ultra-PC up there. They just banned the song "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits after it has been played on the radio for 25 years because he says a word that starts with an "f" and rhymes with maggot in the song a few times. But in the song when he says it, he is saying in the 3rd person as if somebody is saying it about him. They completely took it out of context. But that should give you an idea about how PC they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_Canada
If by "they" you're referring to literally one person in Canada who complained to the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, you're right. However, the CBSC is a non-government entity and thus can't "ban" anything. The CRTC- the actual regulatory body "up here"- told the CBSC to go stuff themselves, and at least two stations in Canada played the song for an hour non-stop without penalty.

If we're going to get into a discussion about which country is more PC when it comes to free speech, I'd suggest you look up a fellow named Lenny Bruce and start from there. Oh, and someone named Janet Jackson once did something memorable at the Superbowl- but instead of choosing to fine the bejesus out of every broadcaster in our country, the CRTC received more complaints about the volume of the commercials than they did the wardrobe malfunction!

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote